We have included all the steps in this post to unlock bootloader on Sony Xperia XZ3. Simply, follow this guide and you will end up unlocking the bootloader successfully.
If you get bored with the stock firmware of your smartphone and want to play around with more customization, then you will need to get your device rooted. But you can’t be able to root your device before unlocking the bootloader.
What is Bootloader?
In simple words, a bootloader is a set of instructions that are executed automatically, whenever the device is turned ON. The operating system and Kernel need bootloader instructions to start the boot process and operate the recovery mode.
By default, the bootloader of every smartphone is locked. The reason behind it is very obvious as every manufacturer wants the users to stay with their default provided skin and stock ROMs.
But as we know, Android is open-source and that gives more power and benefits to users to customize their smartphones with endless possibilities.
Therefore, Android also provides users an alternate route to customize their smartphones.
How To Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia XZ3?
- You need to charge your smartphone to at least 70% or above.
- Grab the original USB cable of your smartphone.
- Make a complete back-up of your important data. Note: It will wipe all the data available on your phone storage.
- Download Sony Xperia XZ3 USB Drivers.
- Download Sony Xperia XZ3 Flasher Tool.
- Download ADB and Fastboot tool. Windows and MacOS
Note: Go through all the steps carefully to avoid any kind of damage as we are not responsible for that.
Step 1: Enable The Developer Option and OEM Unlock
To enter into the process of unlocking, you are required to enable the developer option first and then USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Locate the About device and then tap on the Build number several times until the Developer option gets enabled.
- Get back to the main Settings and then tap on Developer Options.
- In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking.
- After that, enable USB Debugging.
Step 2: Information Required Before Starting Unlocking Bootloader Process on Sony Xperia XZ3
First of all, you will need to fetch the IMEI code. Either it could be found in "Settings -> phone" or you can directly dial the code *#06# to fetch the IMEI code of your Sony Xperia XZ3. Write the code or note it.
Now, launch the dialer and dial this *#*#7378423#*#* code to approach the service menu.
In the service menu, follow this path "Service Info -> Configuration -> Rooting Status. If you are able to see the Bootloader Unlocked Process "Yes", then you are pretty good to start the process. otherwise, If it displays "NO" or the status is missing, then you cannot proceed with the unlocking process.
Approach this Official Sony Developer Bootloader Unlock page.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find the drop-down under the "Select your device" option. Simply, select your phone model and press the "Continue" button to proceed.
Now, It will ask you to enter your email address. Simply, type in your correct email and check the "terms & conditions" box. Finally, click on the "Submit" button.
Open the email, you have just received from the Sony Xperia XZ3 and follow the on-screen instructions as mentioned.
Now, It will direct you to the EMEI verification page where you need to enter the exact IMEI code (You have noted before in the first step) of your smartphone in the EMEI Box available on the page.
Once, you are done entering the IMEI code in the box. Now, check the below "terms & conditions" boxes and click on the "Submit" button.
After submitting the IMEI code, then you will be provided with the unlock code.
Save this unlock code, as It will be needed in the unlocking bootloader process.
That's it, now you are all set to start the unlocking bootloader process.
Step 3: Starting Unlocking Bootloader Process Using Sony Xperia XZ3 Flash Tool
Download and Install the Sony Xperia XZ3 Flash Tool from the pre-requisites section.
Launch the Sony flash tool. Click on the "BLU" button and connect your smartphone to your PC. (While connecting, you need to turn OFF your phone by holding the Volume Down button).
Now, the software will do its part by fetching information from your smartphone and will provide you with instructions on how to boot your phone into fastboot mode.
Simply, release the volume down button and disconnect your smartphone.
Again connect your smartphone (It should be turned OFF and now hold down the Volume Up button while connecting) until you see the fastboot instructions that pop-ups in the first place.
Once, the fastboot instructions disappear, now release the volume up button with the phone still connected to the PC.
Now, you will see the bootloader unlock wizard pops up with your phone IMEI being fetched automatically. under the IMEI Box, you will be able to see the Unlock Code Box, where you will type in the Unlock code you saved before.
After submitting the unlock code, now proceed by clicking on the "Unlock" button.
The unlocking process will start, wait for it until you see the welcome screen on your phone. Once, you witness the welcome screen, now disconnect your smartphone.
That's It, you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Sony Xperia XZ3.
How To Boot Sony Xperia XZ3 Into Fastboot Mode?
- Turn your Phone Off Completely.
- Now, press and hold Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously.
- When the new recovery window appears on the screen, simply release all the buttons.
- Select the "Enter Fastboot Mode"
Now Your Sony Xperia XZ3 is in Fastboot Mode!
How To Boot Sony Xperia XZ3 Into Bootloader Mode?
- Turn your Phone Off Completely by pressing the power button for a while.
- Once It was turned OFF. Now, press and hold Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously.
- When the new recovery windows appear on the screen, release all the buttons.
- Select the "Reboot To Bootloader Mode".
Now Your Sony Xperia XZ3 is in Bootloader Mode!
- Use the below buttons in recovery mode:
- Volume Buttons: To navigate between different options.
- Power Button: To select the option.
I am a tech lover and smartphone enthusiast. I am always keen to know new things about smartphone software’s and hardware’s, So that I can provide solutions to user’s facing different problems.