We have included all the steps in this post to unlock bootloader on LG K20. Simply, follow this guide and you will end up unlocking the bootloader successfully.
If you get bored with the stock firmware of your smartphone and want to play around with more customization, then you will need to get your device rooted. But you can’t be able to root your device before unlocking the bootloader.
What is Bootloader?
In simple words, a bootloader is a set of instructions that are executed automatically, whenever the device is turned ON. The operating system and Kernel need bootloader instructions to start the boot process and operate the recovery mode.
Moreover, you can find the bootloader on every Android smartphone, but the location may vary depending upon different smartphone brands.
By default, the bootloader of every smartphone is locked. The reason behind it is very obvious as every manufacturer wants the users to stay with their default provided skin and stock ROMs.
But as we know, Android is open-source and that gives more power and benefits to users to customize their smartphones with endless possibilities. Therefore, Android also provides users an alternate route to get a chance to customize their smartphones.
This process requires many hurdles ahead. It starts with unlocking the bootloader and so on the process continues with rooting and at last you can end up flashing the custom ROM on your device.
So, we get to know that unlocking bootloader is the permission for users to make different levels of customization from their end.
How To Unlock Bootloader on LG K20?
Step 1: Enable The Developer Option and OEM Unlock
To enter the process of unlocking, you are required to enable the developer option first and then USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
- Go to settings on your phone.
- Locate the About Phone and then tap on it several times until the Developer option get enabled.
- Get back to the main Settings and then tap on Additional Settings->Developer Option.
- In Additional Settings, just tap on USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
Step 2: Unlocking Bootloader on LG K20
- Download and install LG K20 USB drivers from the above pre-requisites section.
- Grab the original cable of your smartphone and then connect it to your PC.
- Turn your Phone OFF.
- Now, extract the ADB & Fastboot folder and right click anywhere in the blank space while holding the shift key to open the command windows or power shell windows.
- Proceed with typing the following command to check whether your smartphone is detected by the computer successfully:
Now, type the following command to enter into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
Now, you will need to get the deviceID with you, to do that, type in the following command:
fastboot oem device-id
- By doing so, you will get a string, simply combine both of the lines containing string and that is actually your Device ID.
- After that, go to official LG Unlock Bootloader and click on "How To Unlock The Bootloader" tab.
- Now, scroll down to the end of the article and click on the "Start Unlocking The Bootloader" button.
- By clicking on it shall direct you to the login page, where you will need to put in your LG account log in credentials.
- After successfully logged in to your account, you will get an approach to "Unlock Bootloader Form".
- Now, fill out the form by putting in the right information.
- Click on the drop down menu labeled as "Phone" and select your LG phone model number.
- Get the IMEI number of your phone which located on the Phone's box or by dialing the number *#06*. After finding, input the IMEI number in the form.
- At last, simply enter the DeviceID and proceed with clicking on the "Confirm" button.
- Once you confirm the process, the "unlock.bin" (by flashing this file will unlock the bootloader on your LG K20) file will be sent to your registered email address.
- Now, download the "unlock.bin" and move it to the folder C:\adb that you have extracted and installed before.
- Enter your LG K30 into fastboot mode. To do that, turn OFF your phone and then press the Power and Volume buttons simultaneously and release them when your device enters successfully into fastboot mode.
In command Prompt, type the following command and press enter to flash the unlock file and unlock the bootloader:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
By executing the above command will unlock the bootloader on your LG K20.
At the end, execute the following command:
That's it, you have successfully unlocked bootloader on LG K20.
LG K20 Specifications
LG K20 comes with 5.45 inches IPS LCD touchscreen, providing a resolution of 480 x 960 pixels. Moreover, the phone runs on Android 9.0 Pie (Go edition) powered by a Quad-Core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 processor.
The internal memory of the phone includes 16 GB paired with 1 GB RAM and also supports a micro-SD card up to 512 GB.
The camera features 8MP primary lens with LED flash including other features and 5MP secondary lens with LED flash for selfies.
It is powered by Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery.
The price of the LG K20 is about 100 EUR.
I am a tech lover and smartphone enthusiast. I am always keen to know new things about smartphone software’s and hardware’s, So that I can provide solutions to user’s facing different problems.